The Sentier du Littoral (or the Sentier des douaniers) is almost specially tailored for us, over 200 kilometers walking along the coast between Saint-Cyr and Frèjus, with passages along les Îles d'Hyères (Porquerolles, Port Cros and Levant).
The Sentier du Littoral is indicated by the yellow lines on the map above. It is no continuous path. The trajectory is divided into 20 pieces. The ones that we explored ourselves are further documented on the other pages of our site.
1. Saint-Cyr - Bandol (11km) : Port de la Madrague / Anse de Récrénos.This route runs along Port d'Alon and some nice 'calanques' (rocky inlets). More info
2) Sanary-sur-Mer (4km) : Plage du Lido / Pointe de la Cride. This route runs along the chalk cliffs of the bay de Cousse, overlooking les Îles des Embiez and Rouveau in the south and l'Île de Bendor in the Northwest.
3) Sanary-sur-Mer (1,1 Km) : Walk from the beach of Port-Issol to the picturesque harbor along the 'purple ' rocks.
4) Six-Fours-les-Plages - La Seyne-sur-Mer (20,5 km) : The first part of the beach of Bonnegrâce to Petit Gaou is flat and runs along the harbor of Brusc. The second part runs from Haute Lèque to Fabregas along the Corniche Merveilleuse and climbs steeply several times.
5) La Seyne-sur-Mer - Saint-Mandrier (4,8 Km) : From the port of Saint-Elme to the beach of Cavalos, through the communal forest, with a nice view of the Cap Sicié and Notre Dame du Mai .
We started our walk in the small port of Saint-Elme (you can ignore the signs not to enter). We went a little way over the rocks, which, with their red and black (lava) colors, are very special. However, due to a landslide, the trail was not accessible over a few hundred meters. Therefore we did not go the full way.
6) Toulon (3,5 Km) : Plages du Mourillon /Anse Méjean. The path runs along the cliffs, with beautiful views of the islands off the coast of Toulon.
7) Le Pradet - Carqueiranne (12,1 Km) : Le Pin de Galle / Port des
Sablettes. A nice variety of rocky coasts and beaches (Plage du Pin de Galle, the Monaco, the Bonnettes, de la Garonne, the Oursinières). Beautiful views of the Toulon harbor and the peninsula of Saint-Mandrier. Near the trail are also some sites to visit : the copper mine Baou Rouge, the forts of Gavaresse and La Colle Noire Bayarde.
8) Hyères (17,2 Km) : walk around the peninsula of Giens. Departure at the port of Madrague to the beach of Badine.
9) Hyères - La Londe (7,3 Km) : Les Salins / Plage de l'Argentière.
Walk along the beach and the port of La Londe-les-Maures (Port Miramar).
10) Bormes-les-Mimosas (15 km) : from Fort Bregancon via Cap Benat to la Favière. Beautiful views of the roadstead of Hyères, les Iles d' Or and the Massif des Maures
The fort of Bregancon is used by the French presidents as a summer residence. From the car park (with charge : 5 EUR , even out of season) it goes along a fine sandy beach to the fort (of course; the access is prohibited). The trail is marked , but runs through rough boulders. We decide to return. Also Cap Benat is a residential area, with guards : hikers not welcome.
10 Bis) Bormes-les-Mimosas - Le Lavandou (2 Km) : Favière
/ Lavandou harbour.Walk along the beach .
The departure in Favière looks beautiful, with a sandy beach at the end, but turns into a path along the cliffs . Access forbidden, according to a billboard of the local authorities. We ignore the panel and continue for a kilometer or two, as far as the Bay of Gau , where the villas are pasted on the hills . The path continues, but this time it's the rain that forces us to return.
11) Le Lavandou (2 Km) : walk from the port to the beach Saint-Clair and along the rocky coast to la Fossette.
12) Pointe du Layet : walk in the pine forest.
13) Les trois Caps : Cap Lardier - Cap Taillat - Cap Camarat (18 Km). The Sentier du Littoral runs between La Croix-Valmer and Ramatuelle. more info
14) Ramatuelle - Cap Camarat - Saint-Tropez - Saint-Raphaël (20,2 Km). Walk along the kilometer long beach of Pampelonne, Saint Tropez and the Pointe du Rabiou .
15) Gassin (2 Km) : Gassin / Plage de la Bouillabaisse / Marines de
Cogolin. Walk on the rocks, some sand beaches and the Gulf of Saint-Tropez .
16) Sainte-Maxime (600 mètres) : from the Pointe des Sardinau to Plage de Nartelle
17) Roquebrune-sur-Argens - Fréjus (11,6 Km) : from the Pointe de l' Arpillon to Port de Saint - Aygulf . Walk along the red rocks and some rocky inlets (Tête Noire ou Corailleur).
18) Saint-Raphaël (11 Km) : Port de Sainte-Lucia (port of Saint-Raphaël) to Agay via the Cap Dramont. Alternate route along the beaches, on the rocks and creeks.
19) l'Île de Porquerolles (28,5 Km)
20) Tour de l'île de Port-Cros (17 Km).